Coating systems have developed into the most flexible and economically significant surface technology.
Through the merger of the former department Coatings and Pigments with the department Painting Technology into Coating Systems and Painting Technology, the Fraunhofer IPA is ready to meet the scientific and industrial demands for innovation and problem solving in a targeted, fast and holistic way.
From the development of new coatings and coating raw materials via paint application to the development, modelling and simulation of coating processes and machines suited for production processes and their implementation, the focus lies on the painting technology process chain.
As necessary, process and failure analysis using further developed quality and testing methods by the use of state-of-the-art equipment, can be performed in a very short time and with great competence.
Pigments and Coatings
- Investigation of structure/property relationships in coatings, coating raw materials and pretreated surfaces
- Development of appropriate testing methods for paints and coatings
- Testing and simulation of long-term behaviour of coatings
- Conception of novel particulate substances and binders
- Surface design and engineering of micro- and nano-scale fillers and pigments
- Coatings with high resistance to chemicals and weathering
- Rapid tests to evaluate nano-size particles and binders
- Innovative coating systems which enable special functions
- Optimisation of development cycles and quality controls
- Benchmark analysis within the coating technology process chain
Systemic adaption of surface engineering processes and facilities
- Conception and optimisation of innovative and economic surface pretreatment and painting processes and -facilities
- Analysis of flaws and savings potentials, development and selection of more adequate technologies
- Development, implementation and validation of low-loss spray painting technologies for different substrates
- Optimising radiation curing of coating films
- Modelling and simulation of pretreatment and painting processes, of air flows in spray booths and driers, of deposition processes in spray painting, electrophoretic painting and powder painting as well as of temperature and radiation curing
- Recycling of paints, minimising energy consumption
- Personnel training
Quality and testing techniques
- Systematic research of physical mechanisms involved in functions of coatings and physical stress testing
- Fault diagnostics, investigation of failure mechanisms
- Adaption, further development and provision of standardized measuring and testing techniques
- Coatings, paint and painted parts testing
- Automated monitoring and control of application techniques and process baths
- Determining paint shop parameters by way of measurement techniques